This dairy free zesty homemade lemon cheesecake recipe will enliven your tastebuds and is a great pallet cleanser after a meal.
This is a quick and easy recipe to make but does require a little bit of preparation.
You will need to soak the cashews overnight to soften them.
Once the cashews have softened, you are ready to go, you will be able to make this very quickly, but you must remember to allow 1-2 hours for the cheesecake to set.
This lemon cheesecake, is delicious, and will be a hit with friends and family.
The raw cashews need softening so they can be made into a paste, we recommend doing this overnight so the cashews are soft when you’re ready to start making the recipe.
Tasty Vegan Lemon Cheesecake Recipe
- Food processor
- Mixing Bowl
- Spring cake tin
- Baking Parchment
- Non-stick saucepan
For the crust
- 4 Oz plain crackers or biscuits broken up
- 4-6 dates pitted
- ½ cup walnuts
- 2 tbsp coconut oil melted
For the cheesecake
- 1 ⅓ cup raw cashews soaked for 4-6 hours or overnight
- ¾ cup water
- 3 tbsp maple syrup or agave
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp agar agar powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 200 C (375 F). Line the bottom of the spring tin with parchment.
- In a food processor, blitz walnuts, dates, and biscuits or crackers until the mixture turns into fine crumbs. Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl and add melted coconut oil. Stir everything together with a spatula. The mixture should be sticking together.
- Transfer to the lined cake tin and spread evenly across the bottom. Bake in the preheated oven for 7-10 minutes until golden brown.
- Drain the liquid from soaked cashews and add them to the food processor. Blend with clean water, maple syrup or agave, coconut oil, vanilla extract, lemon juice, and agar agar until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the food processor as you go, to make sure everything gets evenly incorporated.
- Transfer the cashew mixture to a saucepan over low medium heat. As it heats, stir it continuously with a spatula as it begins to thicken. Carefully fold in half of the lemon zest.
- Once it has thickened a little bit, transfer the “cheesecake” mixture into the cake tin, spreading it evenly across the crust. Allow the cheesecake to fully cool down, then move it to the fridge to set for 1-2 hours.
- Before serving, sprinkle with remaining lemon zest and icing sugar (optional). Enjoy!
To store, refrigerate the cheesecake for up to 5 days. This dessert can also be wrapped and frozen.