With many homeowners looking for environmentally friendly and cheap cleaning solutions, there has been a resurgence of DIY natural & organic cleaning products for your home.
These products are effective, versatile, super-cheap to make, and eco-friendly. They provide a better and safer alternative to standard shop-bought products.
Besides being a safer alternative, you can easily make these products using natural and organic products at home.
You can use locally available ingredients to create a wide range of natural cleaning products for your home. This article discusses the DIY process of making natural and organic cleaning products.
Despite the existence of numerous brands and manufactured products on the market, organic or natural cleaners are quickly gaining popularity.
With natural and organic ingredients, these products don’t have harmful effects on your environment .
So, you can use these products safely around your pets or children due to their chemical or toxin-free nature.
Besides the safe and environmental-friendly nature of these products, natural and organic cleaners will save you the cost of purchasing manufactured products.
You’ll just need natural ingredients to manufacture them at home. these cleaners offer an easy, safe, and cost-effective way to clean your house or surroundings.
What are the Common Natural Cleaner ingredients?
You require the appropriate type and amount of ingredients for your DIY process.
Due to the natural nature of these ingredients, they’re usually biodegradable with no harmful toxins or petrochemicals.
Let’s look at the common ingredients and equipment:
- Castile soap
- White vinegar
- Dish soap
- Spray bottle
- Soda Crystals
- Lemon juice
- Baking soda
- Microfiber cloths
- Essential oils
- Tea tree oils
These ingredients play different roles when creating natural or homemade cleaning products. For instance, vinegar is a disinfectant to kill germs, fungi, or odors.
Other ingredients like essential oils or herbs have antibacterial, antimicrobial, anti-fungal, and other properties vital to creating a powerful and effective natural cleaner.
Thus, choose the appropriate alternatives and amount that suits your cleaning needs.
How to Make Natural & Organic Cleaning Products
With the numerous benefits and advantages of natural homemade cleaning products, creating these products at your home will be cheap and effective.
You can use the above ingredients to make a wide range of home cleaning products, such as glass cleaners, furniture polish, etc.
Let’s look at the process of making different natural and organic cleaning products:
Natural All-purpose Cleaner Spray
Unlike commercial products, you can the all-purpose DIY cleaner spray for various cleaning tasks in your house.
You can use it for cleaning countertops or stainless steel surfaces.
Besides cleaning different surfaces, you can use this sprayer as a disinfectant to kill germs and other microorganism on the surfaces.
- Two cups of water
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 30 drops of essential oil (preferably mix lavender, lemon, peppermint, wild orange, or eucalyptus oils)
- Spray bottle
- Add the right proportions of the above ingredients to a spray bottle
- Mix by shaking the ingredients thoroughly
- After shaking to mix the ingredients, they’ll be ready for use
- Spray the content on your intended surface and allows them to stand for five minutes
- Wipe clean the surface with old cotton or microfiber cloth
Experts advise you to follow the wiping process with a damp cloth if you’re concerned about the vinegar residue. Damp cleaning and drying the surface will get rid of the residues.
Organic Glass Cleaners
Natural glass cleaner provides the best alternative to cleaning glasses in your home
The product will help remove dirt from your mirror, window glasses, and other glass products.
- Distilled water
- 1 cup white distilled vinegar
- Eight drops of essential oils
Consider choosing the appropriate proportion of the essential oils, like four drops of eucalyptus essential oil and four drops of lavender essential oil.
- 1 cup rubbing alcohol
- Pour all the ingredients proportionally into a clean spray bottle
- Shake the mixture appropriately to create a consistent blend
- You can use the blend to clean your surface
- Apply the blend on your surface and allow it to settle
- You can use an old cotton t-shirt or microfiber cloth to wipe clean the surface
Natural Floor Cleaners
Floors are one of the commonly used parts in your house or home.
This part holds a huge array of activities and traffic, making it vital to clean it appropriately.
Besides removing the dirt on the floors, choosing natural cleaners will enhance the safety of your kids and pets.
Remember, pets and kids spend most of their time playing on the floor, making it wise to keep the floor safe for them.
- 4 liters of hot water
- Eight drops of lemon essential oil
- Fifteen drops of sweet orange oil
- Two drops of coconut oil soap or castile soap
- Mixing equipment
- Take all the ingredients and pour them into a large container, preferably a large bucket.
- Use a rod to mix the equipment until you get a consistent blend
- Apply the mixture on the floor
- Use a rag or mop the floor
- You can choose to rinse or leave the floor to dry
The natural floor cleaner is an all-around product despite the different types of floors requiring varying cleaning products and procedures.
You can use it for cleaning your different types of floors and low-level walls.
Organic Toilet Bowl Cleaner
With the toilet bowl handling waste from various family members or visitors, it’s one part of the house you must emphasize when cleaning.
The toilet bowl natural cleaner offers the best alternatives to cleaning the toilet bowl.
It comes in three different variations for general cleaning, removing stubborn stains, and getting rid of hard water buildup.
- One cup of baking soda
- ¼ cup of salt
- One and a half cups of white vinegar
- Ten drops of tea tree or melaleuca essential oil
- Spray bottle
- Mix the baking soda and salt appropriately
- Add the essential oil to the vinegar
- Allow the mixtures to settle
- Spray the mixture inside the toilet bowl using the spray bottle
- Then sprinkle the powder mixture. Ensure the powder mixture is fizzy. You can add more vinegar to keep it fizzier.
- Allow the cleaner to sit on the toilet bowl for approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Scrub the bowl with a toilet brush
- Flush the toilet before wiping the seat dry with a piece of cloth
Experts advise an overnight toilet cleaner for tough toilet rings and hard water buildups.
The process involves sprinkling borax or a cup of the ingredients in the toilet. Use vinegar to spritz it and allow it to rest overnight.
Scrub the toilet with a brush in the morning before flushing.
The process removes dirt and hard water rings, leaving your toilet sparkling clean.
Grout, Tile & Bath Natural Cleaner
With tiles, bath, and grout having unique cleaning properties, choosing the appropriate cleaner to suit their needs will be vital.
The grout, bath tub and tile natural cleaner help remove soap scum and mildew from the showers or tubs.
You can also use this natural cleaner to disinfect these surfaces by killing microorganisms.
- ⅛ cup of coconut oil or castile soap
- Ten drops of eucalyptus essential oil or soap
- 1 cup of baking soda
- Mixing equipment
- Mix all the components or ingredients. You can add more water to the mixture depending on your preferred thickness.
- Allow the blend to settle.
- Paint the mixture or blend on the tile grout using a craft brush or hand
- Let the mixture settle on the surface for approximately 15 – 20 minutes
- Wet the surface using a spray bottle
- Use a stiff brush or scouring pad to scrub
- Wipe clean the surface with a damp cotton cloth
- Use a dry towel to buff dry the surface
Eco-Friendly Microwave Cleaner
Many homeowners have found it daunting to clean their microwaves.
However, natural microwave cleaners offer the best way to remove dirt from this appliance.
Besides removing dirt, the natural cleaner also kills microorganisms and removes odor from the appliance.
- 1 cup of lemon juice
- One cup of clean water
- Microwave-safe glass container
- Combine the lemon and water in the microwave-safe glass container
- Put the container in the appliance
- Cook the container and its appliances until it gets steamy and nice.
- Allow it to cool
- Wipe the microwave’s interior
- Allow the appliance to dry before you start using it again
When using this natural organic DIY procedure to clean your microwave, the steam is vital to ensure you achieve your desired results.
The steam loosens the good, while lemon or citrus kills bacteria and removes the odour.
You can also use kitchen scrubbers to scrub the stuck food particles.
Organic Kitchen Bin Cleaner
While most individuals ignore the kitchen bin cleaning, it’s vital to clean and disinfect it to keep your kitchen bin neat and free from odour’s.
Natural garbage disposal cleaners offer a safe and effective way to remove odor from the kitchen.
The cleaner can also help get rid of dirt stuck on the appliances or knifes.
- Adequate cold water
- Citrus peels
- Ice cubes
- One cup of Vinegar of lemon juice
- Run adequate citrus peelings through the disposal
- Use ice cubes with vinegar or lemon juice instead of citrus peeling
- Run for some time to remove the dirt and freshen the disposal
While cleaning the garbage disposal, some individuals are usually against the use of ice cubes.
Many individuals believe that the ice cubes will make the disposal blades blunt.
Nevertheless, ice cubes (especially from vinegar or lemon juice) help to remove all stuck dirt on the debris.
Homemade Natural Carpet Freshener
Depending on the room or the traffic, carpets carry numerous dirt, including fur, dust, microorganisms, etc.
The carpet freshener offers the best way to keep your carpets cleansed and fresh.
With children and pets spending most of their time on the carpets, using natural carpet fresheners provides a safer and more effective alternative to cleaning and freshening the carpet surface.
- 15 -30 drops of essential oils, including lemon, peppermint, and orange.
- 1 or 2 cups of baking soda (you can increase or reduce the quantity depending on your surface area
- One cup of water
- Mix all the ingredients in a container
- Ensure the container has a sprinkle top or create holes to have an improvised sprinkle top
- Sprinkle your blend or mixture on the carpet
- Allow the mixture to settle on the carpet approximately overnight
- Clean or vacuum as usual
With these essential oils’ antimicrobial properties, they’ll get rid of dirt and kill disease-causing microorganisms.
Furthermore, their chemical-free nature makes the surface safe for your kids and pets.
Homemade Furniture Polish
Everyone dreams of having attractive, glowing furniture, from couches, cabinets, tables, etc.
Choosing the right polish or cleaners will help keep your furniture polished and glowing.
Natural wood or furniture polish offers the best and safe homemade alternative to keep your furniture clean and dirt-free.
- One teaspoon of liquid castile soap
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ filtered water
- Combine all the ingredients in mixing equipment or bowl
- Stir the mixture to combine or achieve a consistent blend
- Place the solution or blend in an open bowl
- Dip a clean cotton cloth in the blend or solution
- Wipe over the wooden surface or furniture to nourish and polish
- Ensure you dry clean with a cotton piece of cloth
You can use this polish for a wide range of furniture and wood surfaces. You can increasing the concentration or amount depending on the surface.
Many homeowners are switching to natural and homemade products for their cleaning services.
Choosing the right cleaning products for your home leaves home sparkling clean and free from microorganisms without using any chemicals.
Using the appropriate ingredients and procedures, you can easily make these products at home.
Besides offering a safe and chemical-free alternative, the products are cheap and easy to make at home.
So, the next time you plan to clean your home and house appliances, try homemade solutions or products & enjoy sparkling eco-friendly results.
Alternatively if you prefer you can buy organic & natural products from eco companies like ethical superstore, saving you time & effort.