Try our tasty and fresh vegan tofu tacos recipe is quick & easy to make, you will love them, Mexico classic tacos but with a vegan twist.
Easy Vegan Tofu Tacos Recipe
- Frying Pan
- Stirring Spoon or Spatula
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Brown onion peeled, quartered and sliced
- 2 Cloves garlic peeled, sliced
- 200 grams Firm tofu crumbled
- ½ Can Chopped tomatoes
- ½ tsp Paprika
- ½ tsp Liquid smoke
- 2 tbsp Tamari soy sauce
- ½ tsp Black pepper
- 8 mini Tortillas or Taco shells
For the garnish (to taste)
- Mixed lettuce
- Salsa or guacamole
- Fresh cherry tomatoes quartered
- Pickled jalapenos
- Lime wedges
- Heat the oil in the frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Saute for 3-5 minutes, until the onions start turning translucent.
- Add crumbled tofu and keep cooking everything together for about 5 minutes.
- Next, add canned tomatoes, soy sauce, paprika, liquid smoke and black pepper. Cook until the liquid is absorbed, and the mixture is a reddish-brown colour.
- Prepare your garnish and tortillas (or taco shells). If desired, warm up the tortillas or shells in the oven.
- Serve the tacos family style: add your favourite garnish and as much filling as you like. Drizzle with some hot sauce or lime juice and enjoy!
- You can use regular soy sauce instead of tamari provided you don’t have a gluten allergy.
- If you have a soy allergy, you can use cooked lentils (drained and rinsed) instead of tofu and liquid aminos instead of soy sauce.
- If you don’t have access to liquid smoke, use smoked paprika instead of regular paprika.
- This filling is also great for a burrito, along with some beans and rice!