The best pasta dishes tend to be brilliant in their simplicity. All you need is a quality pasta & a delicious sauce. Fresh pesto pasta recipe that is nut free.
Our pesto recipe comes with a twist – not only is it vegan-friendly, it’s also nut free! If you’ve never made homemade pesto, you’ll be amazed how easy it is. The whole pasta dish only takes about 20 minutes from start to finish!
Nut Free Pesto Pasta
- Medium pot
- Blender or food processor
- Silicone or rubber spatula
- 150 grams rigatoni pasta
- 30 grams sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 40 grams fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp lemon juice approx. ½ lemon
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cloves garlic peeled
- ½ tsp salt
- Fill the pot halfway with water, and a pinch of salt, and bring it to boil. Add pasta and once the water is boiling again, cook for 9-11 minutes (see notes).
- In the meantime, let’s make fresh homemade pesto! Add sunflowers, basil, lemon juice, olive oil, nutritional yeast, garlic and salt into a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. If necessary, add a splash or water. Scrape down the sides of the blender with a spatula to make sure ingredients get fully incorporated.
- Once the pasta is ready, drain the liquid, reserving about 50ml of the pasta water.
- Add pesto, and place the pot on medium heat. Stir everything while it heats up. Warning: it smells amazing!
- Taste the dish and add salt and pepper as desired. Finally, serve your pesto pasta topped with fresh basil leaves and enjoy!
- This pesto recipe is nut-free, unlike traditional pesto recipes.
- If you haven’t got enough basil, you can add some spinach or parsley to your dish.
- Depending on the type of pasta you are using, the cooking times may vary.
- If you are using gluten-free pasta, for example, it may take longer to cook. The best thing to do is to consult the packaging.