This fresh vegan tofu sushi bowl recipe makes a healthy lunch, dinner or a light snack and can whipped up quickly.
Fresh Vegan Sushi Bowl With Tofu Recipe
- Baking Tray
- Baking Parchment
- Small bowl
- Small pot with a lid
- 120 g Sushi rice
- 2 tbsp Rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp Maple syrup
- 1 ½ tbsp Tamari
- 2 tbsp Toasted sesame seeds
- 180 grams Firm tofu cut into cubes
- ½ Large avocado peeled, stone removed, sliced
- 1 Nori sheet chopped into thin strips
- 1 Carrot grated
- 2 tbsp Pickled sushi ginger
- 4 tbsp Pickled red onions
- ½ Cucumber finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Vegan yoghurt or vegan mayo
- 1 tsp Sriracha
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- To make the rice marinade, combine rice vinegar, tamari and maple syrup in a cup. Set aside.
- Rinse the rice until the water runs clear. Combine the rice with 250ml of water in a small pot. Bring the contents to boil, then turn the heat down to simmer and cover the pot with a lid. Once all the liquid has been absorbed (approx. 10 mins), add the marinade and 1 tbsp sesame seeds and stir until well-combined. Turn off the heat but keep the lid on for about 10 minutes. Allow the rice to fully cool down.
- Spread tofu cubes on a lined baking tray and bake at 220c for about 20 minutes. They should be crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
- For the cucumber salad, mix yoghurt, sriracha, salt and pepper in a cup. Add cucumbers into a small bowl and mix with the yoghurt dressing.
- Once the rice is cool, assemble your buddha bowl. Add rice, carrots, tofu, avocado, ginger, pickled onions, nori seaweed and cucumber salad. Top with remaining sesame seeds and enjoy!