Why would you buy a handmade natural soaps or organic soaps if you already use your favourite commercial soaps to keep your skin clean? Well, what you don’t know is that most commercial brands contain a high concentration of toxic ingredients!
If you still have your doubts, keep reading to learn why handmade soaps are better than conventional soaps. You will know what makes them so different and all the benefits of natural soaps!
Naturally, you will choose the best soap on the market to remove dirt and bacteria from your skin. That said, most store-bought soaps are not real soaps, but rather detergents!
They not only remove the dirt but also the natural oils of your skin. In simple words, these soaps dry your skin! That’s not to mention all the toxic ingredients your body will absorb! Additionally, it’s difficult to find commercial vegan soaps and plastic-free soaps.
Natural soap are real soaps made of safe ingredients that won’t affect your skin or remove its’ natural oils. Also, you will find vegan soaps and plastic-free soaps. So, handmade soaps are the best option to clean your skin and take care of the environment!
Below, you can check the ingredients of commercial and handmade soaps to learn more about them!
Commercial Soap Ingredients
When buying your personal care products, you will find several soaps to choose from. Supermarkets offer different sizes, colours, scents and some “natural” options. Unlike handmade soaps, most of these options are far from being natural. And this is something you can tell by reading their ingredients list:
- Parabens: These substances can cause allergies and increase susceptibility to breast cancer!
- Phthalates: These toxic ingredients can affect your hormones and commercial soapshide them behind the word “fragrance”.
- Petrochemicals: These ingredients are made from petroleum. This should give you a sign of how toxic these chemicals can be for your health!
- Synthetic perfume and colouring agents: These artificial ingredients make your soap look and smell good. Unfortunately, they can irritate your skin or cause allergies!
Instead of creating true natural soaps, commercial brands use these cheap and low-quality ingredients to make more profits.
Handmade Soap Ingredients
While commercial options contain toxic substances that can affect your skin and the environment, natural soaps contain biodegradable ingredients. In fact, more than 90% of the handmade soaps’ ingredients are naturally-derived, particularly plant-derived. For that reason, they’re vegan soaps too!
Natural soaps contain the following eco-friendly and safe ingredients:
- Glycerine: Handmade soaps contain glycerine, a wonderful ingredient derived from plant-based oils. This natural ingredient hydrates your skin and prevents it from over-drying. And the best part is that any type of skin can benefit from it!
You will only find this ingredient on handmade soaps because commercial brands remove it. The reason is that they want you to buy another product to moisturise your skin!
- Healthy oils: They use natural oils, such as palm, coconut, olive, hemp, castor, sunflower and many others. Natural soaps include some of these oils to moisturise, heal and protect your skin!
- Essential oils: Some natural soaps use essential oils like lavender, citronella, peppermint and others. They’re natural ingredients to create aroma. Furthermore, they provide moisturising and therapeutic properties!
- High-quality fragrance: Some handmade soaps use a small amount of high-quality fragrance oils and pigments.
They’re also plastic-free soaps, which make them the perfect option for ethical consumers!
Keep in mind that handmade natural soaps have to put Latin names on their ingredients lists. So, don’t be scared if you read weird names. Sodium cocoate, for example, is an ingredient derived from coconut oil.
The making process of handmade soaps is what makes them so unique!
Every soap bar is made with care and passion. They carefully select the best ingredients for your skin and the environment, which are fresh, locally-sourced and plant-based. So, you will find several vegan soaps and plastic-free soaps to choose from!
As they don’t use toxic chemicals, the making process requires more time and effort. But the result is a vegan soap with great properties for your skin!
While handmade natural soaps are produced in small batches by local soap makers, commercial soaps are mass-produced by large companies. As natural soap production requires more resources, large companies prefer to use low-quality formulas to increase their production.
In other words, they put their profits before environmental safety, working conditions and consumer’s health! Likewise, they prefer to use plastic packaging to reduce costs, so there aren’t too many commercial plastic-free soaps available.
They also tend to test their products on animals and use animal-derived ingredients! As a result, it’s difficult to find cruelty-free and vegan soaps.
Benefits of Handmade Soaps
Handmade soaps are here to stay and it’s not surprising that they are becoming very popular. After all, they have several benefits:
- Handmade soaps will naturally remove bacteria.
- Natural soaps have a low carbon footprint and they’re paraben-free.
- Plastic-free soaps are a great option to reduce your plastic waste.
- Vegan soaps are the best option to avoid animal cruelty and promote animals’ wellbeing.
- These handmade vegan soaps will naturally moisturise and soften your skin. Also, they won’t remove your skin’s natural oils!
- Natural soaps are locally made, buying these products is a great way to support local businesses.
- These plastic-free soaps are perfect for each skin type, even for sensitive skins. Moreover, they could be helpful for people with dry skin, acne, dermatitis, or rosacea.
- They’re an eco-friendly option. The ingredients of these plastic-free soaps are biodegradable, so they won’t affect the environment.
Now that you know all the benefits of handmade natural soaps, give them a try! Your skin and the environment will thank you!