Crumpets are a classic British breakfast food, perfectly designed to be paired with butter, jam or Marmite! If you ever wondered how to make your own plant-based vegan crumpets, this recipe is a good place to start.
Not only is it made with whole-food ingredients and non dairy milk , it features wholemeal flour – a great source of fibre in the morning.
Tasty Vegan Wholemeal Crumpets
- Mixing Bowl
- Tea towel or cling film
- Non-stick frying pan
- Crumpet rings
- 1 sachet 7g dry active yeast
- 500 ml plant-based milk warm
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 150 g white flour
- 100 g wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- In a mixing bowl, bring together warm plant-based milk, yeast, and sugar. Stir everything together and leave it in a warm place for the yeast to activate. In about 5 minutes, you should see the mixture starting to foam.
- In a separate bowl, combine both types of flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Sift the dry mixture into the wet mixture while continuously whisking it in. Keep whisking until there are no flour streaks.
- Cover the bowl with a damp tea towel or some clingfilm. Leave it in a warm place for 30 minutes to prove.
- Heat your frying pan over medium heat. Spray the pan and the crumpet rings with cooking spray.
- Spoon the batter into the crumpet rings. Do not overfill them – the batter will rise quite significantly! Cook on medium low heat for about 5 minutes, until you see the bubbles forming at the top.
- Using a knife, carefully separate the crumpets from the rings. Flip them over and cook on the other side for about a minute.