This traditional Italian style vegan spaghetti bolognese recipe is known for its versatility.
This vegan bolognese recipe calls for red lentils and mushrooms but you can use your favourite protein sources such as chickpeas, soy mince, or tofu. Plus, this is an ingenious way to use up leftovers such as tomato sauce, canned lentils, or cooked pasta.
Besides being incredibly versatile and economic, this is a practical dish, perfect for meal prep and batch cooking.
Red lentils are high in high-quality protein and low in fat, which makes them a perfect substitute for animal protein sources. Red lentils contain fibre, vitamins, and minerals such as iron, phosphorus, and potassium.
Whether you’re cooking for your guests or your beloved one, this plant-based spaghetti bolognese will fit the bill!
Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese
- Frying Pan
- Wooden Spoon
- 300 g spaghetti
- 150 g red lentils soaked overnight
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 medium carrot chopped
- 200 g brown mushrooms chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 500 ml tomato sauce
- 200 ml pasta cooking water reserved when draining
- 2 tablespoons roasted red pepper sauce optional
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped (preferably Italian parsley)
- Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain and reserve.
- Meanwhile, cook soaked lentils for about 15 minutes, until cooked through.
- Preheat olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Once hot, sauté the onion for about 4 minutes, until tender and translucent.
- Then, sauté the carrot and mushrooms for about 3 minutes, until fragrant. Add the garlic and continue to sauté for 1 minute more.
- Add the remaining ingredients and continue cooking, partially covered, for 10 to 12 minutes more, until cooked through.
- Finally, add warm lentils to the sauce and gently stir to combine. Spoon the sauce over warm spaghetti and serve immediately. Bon appétit!