Living off the grid in Wyoming is an attractive lifestyle for many.
Not only does it offer a sense of independence, but there’s something incredibly romantic about living in rugged and remote areas away from the hustle and bustle of modern life.
With pristine landscapes, plentiful wildlife and breathtaking sunsets, Wyoming offers a unique opportunity to reconnect with nature.
Whether your goal is to live completely off-the-grid or just unplug from civilization on occasion, Wyoming has something to offer everyone who dreams of a simpler life.
Benefits Of Living Off Grid In Wyoming
Wyoming is a great place to live off the grid and reap the benefits of living a simpler life.
Here are some of the top advantages of living off grid in Wyoming:
- Low cost of living due to not having to pay for utilities or accessories associated with a traditional home
- Easier access to fresh, organic produce from local farmers and community gardens
- More self-sufficient lifestyle with renewable energy sources such as solar power
- Lower stress levels from living away from city life and enjoying clean air, natural beauty, and a slower pace of life
- Increased privacy and security in an off grid situation
- Opportunities to learn new DIY skills such as gardening and small scale livestock farming
The challenges of living off grid in Wyoming
While going off grid in Wyoming can be rewarding, it does come with some challenges.
Here’s what you should keep in mind if you’re considering this lifestyle:
- Limited access to modern amenities such as internet, streaming services and digital entertainment
- Expensive initial setup costs such as the cost of solar panels, batteries and other renewable energy sources
- Difficulty finding off grid land that is suitable for a home, particularly in highly populated areas
- Prolonged projects such as digging wells for water or finding alternative ways to heat/cool a home
- Necessity of obtaining back up generators or alternate power sources during outages
Things To Consider Before Moving to Wyoming
Before moving to Wyoming and living off the grid, there are a few things you should consider.
First and foremost, you need to research the local laws and regulations to ensure that you can legally live off the grid in Wyoming.
Additionally, it’s important to consider how harsh the winters can be, as well as how remote certain locations can be.
This means that access to supplies and services may be limited.
Finally, try to envision what type of lifestyle you want while living off the grid.
Answering this question up front will help determine where you decide to settle down in Wyoming.
Average Temperature In Wyoming
Wyoming has four distinct seasons featuring a variety of temperatures and weather conditions.
The average temperature in the summer ranges from the mid 50s to the upper 80s, while the average winter temperature is between 15-25 degrees Fahrenheit.
Wyoming experiences an annual average of 129 days with temperatures below freezing, so make sure you are equipped with adequate insulation and heating sources if you plan on living off the grid.
With some forethought and planning ahead of time though, living off-grid can provide a unique experience, unlike any other – full independence with unparalleled access to all of mother nature’s gifts right outside your door!
You also might be interested in reading about other popular places in the world to live off the grid.