Ever fancied making your own vegan hot dogs? Well you can with this easy to make vegan hot dogs with roasted vegetables recipes using seitan.
Seitan, also known as vegan meat, wheat meat, or gluten meat, is a perfect vegan meat-alternative. With vital wheat gluten and a few pantry staples, it’s incredibly easy to make!
Once you make a dough, it should be poached to get a chewy meat texture that can be used for so many dishes. It can be flavoured in a variety of ways. For instance, you can simmer the dough with fresh or dried herbs, soy sauce, ginger, or seaweed.
Due to its neutral flavour and great texture, you can experiment with the flavours and shapes of your seitan. You can use vegan poultry seasoning to make a “chicken” flavoured seitan, or vegan BBQ sauce, mustard powder, and cayenne pepper for a “sausage” flavour. Boom, vegan sausage!
Seitan Hot Dogs with Roasted Veggies
- steamer basket
- grill pan
- air fryer
- Food processor
- Large pot
- 3/4 cup canned white beans drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons roasted pepper paste
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons vegan BBQ sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 250 grams vital wheat gluten
- A few drizzles of liquid smoke optional
- 6 hot dog buns
- 2 large carrots sliced into sticks
- 1 large leek halved and sliced
- lettuce optional
- In a bowl of your food processor, place white beans, broth, pepper paste, olive oil, BBQ sauce, and spices. Pulse until well combined.
- Then, add the vital wheat gluten and liquid smoke, (if using) then pulse until it comes together in a ball.
- Divide the mixture into 6 equal balls. Roll and press them into a sausage shape. Wrap each sausage in parchment paper and aluminium foil, twisting the ends, so they are completely closed off.
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Place the steamer basket on the pot and lower the seitan sausages into the steaming basket; let them steam for about 20 minutes; turn them over and cook for a further 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, roast your veggies in the Air Fryer at 180 degrees C for about 10 minutes (You can grill them in a grill pan, too).
- Let the sausages cool before removing the parchment paper and foil.
- Grill the sausages in a grill pan and add them to the hot dog buns, top with roasted veggies, and enjoy!