This mushroom stroganoff sweet potato recipe dish is a perfect comfort food, especially when it’s cold or rainy outside. It has the comforting carb component, as well as the creamy, deep-flavoured mushroom stroganoff filling.
Vegan Sweet Potato & Mushroom Stroganoff
- Microwave Optional
- Baking Tray
- Frying Pan
- Frying Pan
- Stirring Spoon or Spatula
- 2 Sweet Potatoes Whole
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ Brown Onion Peeled & Finely Diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic Peeled, Minced or Diced
- 250 grams Mushrooms
- 1 tsp Dried Dill
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tbsp White Flour
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 125 ml Non-Dairy Milk
- Fresh Dill Optional, for Garnish
- Salt and Pepper To taste
- Make a few incisions in the sweet potatoes with a fork or a knife, place them on a lined baking tray and bake at 220-230 C for an hour. If you want to shorten the cooking time, pierce them with a fork or a knife, microwave them for 5-6 minutes, then bake for about half an hour. When ready, the sweet potatoes should be soft under the skin.
- In the meantime, let’s make the mushroom stroganoff filling. Heat the oil in the frying pan. Add onion and garlic, and saute for 4-5 minutes. Add mushrooms, and keep cooking for another 5-7 minutes, until the mushrooms are brown and start releasing moisture.
- Next, add flour and saute for about a minute. Begin to drizzle in the plant-based milk, adding more everything it thickens. WIth the last bit of milk, add mustard, apple cider vinegar and dried dill. Mix it all together, taste and add salt and pepper.
- Once potatoes are cooked, slice them down the middle and add the stuffing. Garnish with fresh dill and enjoy!