Try out our tasty & healthy vegetarian butternut squash risotto recipe. this recipe is comforting, delicious & full of goodness but best of all quick & easy to make.
What is Risotto?
Risotto is a type of high-starch rice dish that is usually served as a first course. The word risotto, meaning “to scrape,” refers to the process of stirring the rice while it simmers in stock—the movement creates grains of rice that are shaped more or less like long grains of sand. In order for this process to take place, the cooking must be done slowly and lovingly!
How to Make Risotto
There are a number of different risotto recipes. The first thing to remember is that it’s cooked in batches, so you can make as much or as little as you need at a time. It also helps to have all of your ingredients prepped and measured out before starting.
Butternut Squash Risotto
- Vegetable peeler
- Non-stick pot or cast iron with a lid
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion peeled, diced
- ½ butternut squash peeled, seeds removed, chopped
- 80 mls dry white wine
- 150 grams arborio rice or a similar variety of short-grained rice
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ½ can coconut milk
- 350 mls vegetable broth*
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in the pot over medium heat. Add onion and saute for 3-4 minutes until it starts getting soft.
- Add butternut squash and white wine. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring continuously with a spatula.
- Add rice, coconut milk, lemon juice, and vegetable broth. Mix everything together. Bring to a simmer and close the pot with a lid.
- Allow the risotto to cook for about 20-25 minutes. The rice should be soft and creamy, the squash fully cooked, and there should be a crust forming at the bottom of the dish.
- Mix everything together and serve.
In conclusion, there are many steps to make a perfect risotto. A good rice to liquid ratio is the most important factor. Cooking time and temperature is also important for getting the right consistency. It is important to keep stirring the risotto as it cooks, adding liquid as needed.