You’ve probably heard that reusable shopping bags are an eco-friendly alternative to single-use plastic bags. But what’s the reason behind this claim? What’s the problem with disposable bags and why are reusable bags better for the environment?
Something as simple as choosing the right bag for your groceries can make a big difference in the world. Even paper bags can harm the environment. But there’s another alternative: reusable shopping bags!
Keep reading to discover the problems with disposable bags and the benefits of reusable bags for the environment! Also, you will find a few tips to get the best out of your reusable shopping bags!
The Problems with Single-use Plastic Bags
You might be wondering why plastic grocery bags are so terrible. They’re as useful as reusable shopping bags after all. Well, these are some of the problems with them:
- Unlike reusable bags, plastic bags are made from petroleum, a non-renewable resource. Additionally, their production generates greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to climate change.
- More than one million plastic shopping bags are used every minute around the world. What’s worse, most people throw them away after just 15 minutes of use! As a result, they generate a lot of plastic waste that affects the environment.
- Most plastic grocery bags won’t get recycled because they can get stuck in machinery. In the best scenario, plastic bags will remain for hundreds of years in landfills. But in real life, most of them will find their way into the ocean thanks to the wind.
- While it’s easy for you to identify these bags as waste, many marine animals mistake them for food. So, they can cause the death of these animals!
- Like other plastics, plastic bags don’t biodegrade but rather break down into smaller pieces. These “micro-plastics” will also cause huge problems for the environment, wildlife, and food chain.
The Problems with Paper Bags
If you don’t use reusable shopping bags and you don’t want to contribute to plastic pollution either, you probably use paper bags. Maybe you think these bags are an eco-friendly option and there’s no need to replace them with reusable bags. Yet, they can also be problematic for the environment:
- When paper bags aren’t made from recycled materials, it means many trees were cut down so you could carry your things around.
- Their production requires the use of chemicals and fertilisers that harm the environment.
- Manufacturing a paper bag requires four times more energy than producing a plastic bag. You would have to use it more than three times to neutralise their impact on the planet!
- Unlike reusable shopping bags, you can only reuse paper bags a few times before they wear out.
- Paper can’t be recycled indefinitely, so it will become waste at some point.
Even though paper bags are recyclable and biodegradable, their production still causes some problems for the environment. They might create less waste than plastic bags, but they aren’t as eco-friendly as you thought. Fortunately, you can avoid all these problems with a few reusable bags!
Think about how many plastic bags or paper bags you use when you go to the grocery store every week. That’s a lot of disposable bags you could avoid every year with a few reusable bags. And here’s how you could help the environment by bringing your own reusable shopping bags:
10 Reasons Why You Should Use Reusable Grocery Bags
- Less Litter on Land and in the Ocean
If you take good care of your reusable grocery bags, they could last for years and replace hundreds of disposable bags. Remember that plastic bags can be easily blown away by the wind and cause troubles for the environment. So, using a few reusable bags would reduce the amount of litter on the streets, parks, rivers, and in the ocean.
- Protect Wildlife
Using reusable shopping bags could save one animal’s life. Plastic bags cause the death of thousands of marine animals every year, particularly seabirds and sea turtles. Usually, these animals mistake plastic shopping bags for food or get trapped in them! For that reason, it’s important to replace them with reusable bags.
- Save Natural Resources
While disposable bags cause problems for the environment, reusable shopping bags save trees and preserve fossil fuels! Since reusable bags can replace disposable ones, fossil fuels and trees could be used for other purposes. Better yet, not used at all!
- Fight Global Warming
Manufacturing plastic bags and bringing them to grocery stores generates a lot of carbon emissions. With one reusable bag, you could avoid several disposable bags every year and reduce your carbon footprint!
- Increase Recycling Rates
If you use reusable shopping bags, you don’t need to worry about recycling plastic bags. As these plastics can get tangled in machinery, they could slow down the recycling process in some recycling facilities.
- Get the Best Out of Your Reusable Shopping Bags
Besides being a better option for the environment, reusable bags are durable and strong. But it’s important to keep in mind these tips to get the best out of them:
- Place Your Reusable Shopping Bags Next to Your Keys
If you’re going grocery shopping, place your bags next to your keys so you don’t forget to bring them with you! There’s nothing worse than leaving your reusable bags unused!
- Always Carry a Reusable Bag with You
A great way to avoid single-use bags is to have a reusable shopping bag to hand in case you need it. You could keep one in your car or purse and it could be super helpful for those spontaneous purchases!
- Wash Your Reusable Shopping Bags
Don’t forget to wash your reusable bags regularly. With this, they will always be clean and ready for the next time you need to use them!
- Encourage Others to Use Reusable Cloth Bags
Reusable Shopping Bags – Eco-friendly and Plastic Free
Nowadays, plastic bags aren’t as popular as they used to be. And that’s because they cause more problems than benefits or solutions. The good news is that you can use reusable shopping bags and ditch plastic bags once and for all.
And that’s not the only reason to make the switch to sustainable, plastic-free, eco-friendly, reusable grocery bags. Let’s remember that plastic bags don’t biodegrade but rather break down into smaller pieces. As you might know, marine animals usually mistake plastic bags and “microplastics” for food. So, unlike reusable shopping bags, they’re harmful to wildlife!
Eco-friendly tote bags are made of biodegradable, compostable, vegan, natural, and ethical materials like organic cotton. That’s why using eco-friendly, plastic-free, sustainable, reusable shopping bags could save animals and protect our planet!
But that’s not all! Reusable shopping bags are also a better option than other disposable bags, like paper bags and biodegradable plastic bags. As you can use reusable shopping bags over and over again, you won’t generate waste. If you want to live a sustainable and zero waste lifestyle, then you need to start using reusable bags!
Reusable shopping bags are made from natural, vegan, organic, compostable, and biodegradable materials. As reusable bags are strong, durable, and washable, you can use them for a long time!
As a result, using sustainable, plastic-free, eco-friendly, reusable grocery bags is a fantastic way to reduce your carbon footprint, avoid disposable plastics and protect the environment!
If you’d like to learn more about the benefits of using eco-friendly tote bags and why they’re better than disposable bags, read our blog post: 10 Facts About Plastic Pollution
Ditch Disposable Bags and Protect the Environment
Reusable shopping bags are sustainable, plastic-free, eco-friendly, zero waste, organic, reusable shopping bags, produce bags, and tote bags are stylish, durable, and strong. You can choose the best option to carry your fruits, veggies, and other items!
And the best part is that our reusable grocery bags are made of organic cotton, which is a sustainable, natural, and biodegradable material!
Now that you know reusable shopping bags are the best option for the environment, ditch disposable bags and share this article with others to increase awareness!
Finally, let others know how important it’s for the environment to stop using single-use bags!,
Ready to be an eco-conscious consumer? Buy your favourite Reusable Shopping Bags today!